If you’re really ambitious in startups, there’s only ever been two paths: founder vs. VC.
- Founders go deep on one company.
- VCs get to build a broad portfolio.
Startup studios are the best of both sides of the table:
- Founders should build a portfolio of companies themselves.
“The power dynamic between venture capitalists and founders massively favors venture capitalists; after all, founders only have their one company, the survival of which depends on gaining funding, while venture capitalists see hundreds if not thousands of companies, and the default answer is “no.””— Ben Thompson
How can we fund founders’ whole portfolios, not individual startups?
- Startup studios are perfect for this type of founder.
- I’ve explored this idea before with my Founder Accelerator idea.
- Utopic Studio is my indie startup studio.
- Utopic Ventures will be my fund to invest in other founders.
This idea is a work-in-progress. If you’d like to riff on it, hit me up @neilthanedar on Twitter.