From the Arsenal of Democracy to the COVID-19 Vaccine, America’s critical products are made in Michigan.
Let’s honor and build on this legacy by making Detroit the home of America’s new manufacturing revolution.
Idea: Make Detroit an American mass manufacturing hub to compete with China’s Shenzhen.
- Turn Detroit into a free trade and advanced manufacturing zone.
- Create a concentrated supply chain in Detroit near the US-Canada border.
Why? Create an Arsenal of Progress in Detroit, the original Arsenal of Democracy.
- Create thousands of jobs in Detroit.
- Manufacture critical supplies in America close to where they’re needed most.
Key: Leverage Michigan’s existing manufacturing leadership:
- Make Detroit a hub for CHIPS Programs in partnership with Michigan automakers.
- Create a research and manufacturing ecosystem for microelectronics and semiconductors.
- Partner with BARDA to make Detroit a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing in America (PMIA) hub.
- Parke-Davis, once the world’s largest pharmaceutical company, was founded and headquartered in Detroit.
- Pfizer’s largest manufacturing site, where its coronavirus vaccine is made, is in Kalamazoo, Michigan, less than 150 miles from Detroit.
Model: START-UP NY for Detroit.
- Invest up to $1M each in the best startups and manufacturers that move to Detroit.
- See: 43North for Detroit
- Allow new and expanding businesses in Detroit to operate up to 10 years tax-free.
- $0 down home loans for anyone moving their primary residence to Detroit.
Vision: Retrofit iconic old Detroit buildings into new manufacturing and technology startup offices.
- See: YC for Manufacturing
This idea is a work-in-progress. If you’d like to riff on it, hit me up @neilthanedar on Twitter.